Sunday, September 13, 2009

Pepper Jack rolls



Another one from mykitchencafe. (I really should start cooking my own recipes again, but hers are so much better!) If you are actually reading my sad little cooking blog you really should just go to hers instead! :)

These were so good, so easy, and so different. I LOVE these rolls and already can't wait to make them again. We love pepper jack around here!

The Goods
Dough
4 1/2 tsp. of Instant yeast
1/2 cup warm h20
1 cup lukewarm milk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cups softened butter
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
5-6 cups flour
Filling
8 oz. of pepper jack cheese, cut into 15 cubes.

Topping
2 tbs. butter
1/4 cup italian bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated parm cheese
1 egg yolk beaten with 1 tsp water. (I just realized I used the whole egg...they turned out great so I hope that doesn't matter!):)

Mix all the dough ingredients together till the dough is soft and elastic. Don't add too much flour or the rolls will be heavy, just enough that it's not too sticky. Place in a buttered bowl, cover and let raise for 20-30 minutes in a warm place.

Punch the dough down, and knead for a minute getting the dough soft again. Separate into 15 pieces, then take each piece and form in a small ball shape. Take your cheese cube and stuff from the bottom up, then pinch the bottom closed and set on a greased 9 by 13 pan.

Let raise again for 20-30 minutes till the rolls have risen and doubled in size.
While the rolls are raising, mix the butter, bread crumbs, and parm together in a small bowl, and mix you egg yolk and water in another. When the rolls are done raising brush with the egg mixture and then add your crumb mixture on top.

Bake for 15-18 minutes (my actually need about 20), at 375. They should be lightly brown on top. Serve warm, so they ooey, gooey, and perfect!

1 comment:

Melanie said...

I'm glad you tried them with pepper jack. I want to try that next time (and I'll get them all to myself because my husband doesn't like pepper jack cheese!).