Sunday, April 19, 2009

Black and White Cheesecake Squares



My sister has a recipe for these that I love, but when I saw these on mykitchencafe.blogspot.com, I knew I had to try them. (Take a look at her blog too, her recipes are fantastic!) These brownies are as good as she says they are.

She got these from Martha Stewart Living.

The Goods
Nonstick cooking spray
2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 sticks butter, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup pwowdered sugar

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl.
In another bowl, cream butter and granulated sugar with a mixer until smooth. Add 2 eggs and 2 teaspoons vanilla, and beat until smooth. Add flour mixture slowly just to blend. Reserve 1 cup of dough, cover, and refrigerate. Press the remaining dough into bottom of prepared dish and Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Bake until the edges are puffed, 22-25 minutes (22 was perfect for me). Make sure you don't burn this bottom layer or it will get hard and ruin the brownies! Let the brownies cool completely. Mix cream cheese, powdered sugar, and remaining egg and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla in a medium bowl. Spread over cooled base; crumble reserved dough on top. Bake until filling is set, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool in dish, serve and enjoy. Keep these in the frige for up to 3 days.

3 comments:

Hanne and Fam said...

Just so you know I enjoyed these thoroughly!!! Thanks for the sugar!

AnniKae said...

oh... my mouth is watering! I might add her link to my blog. Thanks Hayley.

Melanie said...

AnniKae left me a comment referencing your cooking blog and I'm glad she did. I can't wait to look around at your recipes. I'm glad you liked the cheesecake squares!